Turning Poo Into Insights.“Sanitation systems have the potential to provide the world’s largest, consistently updated and geo-location specific health data set.” - The Toilet Board Coalition
The bathroom is the personal health space of the future. A missing link to understanding our bodies and health lies within the analytics of stool.
Everybody has to poo. Poodl will create a digital health tool for non-invasive analytics at the point of care. No samples to be taken, no wearables to forget about. Just do your business.
The problem is: “People don’t want to deal with shit.”
and thats ok! 🙂 They rarely observe, document or analyze their feces, even it contains a huge amount of personal health data.
As one result undetected colorectal cancer (CRC) is growing, one of the most common types of cancer, ranking as the 3rd most evil and the 4th most leading cause of cancer death worldwide. People with early stage CRC detection have significantly higher survival rates compared to those diagnosed at later stages. But the problem remains: people do not check their feces regularly.
- People who want more insights about their personal health and well being.
- Parents who want insights about their childs health.
- Patients who already suffered from a disease and want to home-monitor their stool.
- CROs or Clinics who want to instantly monitor the status of the patient.
“70% of people in 8 countries would be willing to share data from their smart toilet if it would mean lower healthcare costs.” – Survey by Intel, 2016
Our hypothesis is, that there is a need for better non-invasive, convenient and easy-to-use home monitoring tools. We asked 181 people and 82% want to know more about their feces.
We want to develop a transportable solution that can extract digital data from poo, with zero interactions needed by the user, to identify markers present in the feces. In other words, a bodyguard for your butt. At the moment, we are in the feasibility phase, pre-proof of concept.
- There is an $18 billion market forecast for IoT & diagnostics by 2020 according to Forbes.
- US market research analysts estimate the stool testing market to surpass US$ 720 million by 2019 due to the growing awareness of diagnostic stool test among the people.
- The process spectroscopy market in 2016 was $3.90 billion which is going to increase with the CAGR of 5% according to ‘Research and Markets’.
- We are fine at the moment.
Use Cases // Clinical & Life Style
- Detecting of markers related to lifestyle or clinical usage.
- Measurement of fat, protein, carbs, and water on a repeatable and reliable level.
- Discover of other potential markers
- In total a 32 year old person was 92 days at the toilet using ca 1.000 rolls of toilet paper.
- People create 125-150g of poo, vegetarians up to 350g
- In total, a person produces 4 tons of poo over a lifetime, over 55 kilo a year of valuable data.
10+ years of digital health consulting for e.g. Bayer, Biotronik, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Roche Diagnostics and others
15+ years of medical affairs experience within companies like Thermo Fisher Scientific, Takeda or Epigenomics.
20+ years in Healthcare & Pharma in the fields of innovation, business development and strategy.
Microbiome Expert & Head of R&D at MVZ Institute of Microecology
“In 30 years from now, people will say: What?! You didn’t measure your poo regularly?!”